Do you have a passion for animals? Do you have time on your hands that you would like to use to help others? Have you been looking for a way to give back to others? Then you might be just the person we are looking for.
There is a whole community on the internet using social media, mainly facebook, who are the voices for the voiceless animals. We are comprised of people from all walks of life – retired, ill and cannot work, working folks, rescuers, shelter volunteers, etc. We have a large community of people (thousands of cross posters on 7 continents) who share animals that are in shelters on death row, on streets, tied to poles and left to die, left in homes to starve when people move, missing, stolen, emaciated, dumped, surrendered seniors, horrible shelter conditions, chained, tortured, etc. all over the world. We post and share sick animals, young animals, old animals, blind, deaf, tortured; well, you get the idea. We just share all animals. And, we save lives every single day. Dogs, cats, pigs, horses, birds, any type of animal, have a chance to have a life, thanks to our networking. Those same animals were dying in great numbers before the birth of the internet. We are international.
Here are only a few ways that we, as the animal advocate community use the internet, Facebook being our largest venue, to do our work.
- The internet has made it possible to rescue as many as an additional million animals per year. There are hundreds of shelters which are invisible to the world and with the use of the internet, our advocates are now able to post pictures and write ups of these animals that are never seen by the public and find rescues and homes for them. There are many shelters that do not allow public access to their animals. How else would those animals be seen and have a chance at life, rather than death? We, have people who go into those shelters and take pictures and post them to give those animals their slim chance at life.
- Through the use of facebook, we also alert animals’ owners of food recalls and supply important information on food, treats, toys, grooming, obedience training, help for disabilities in pets, news, organizations that can assist, new ideas, etc., etc.
- Through facebook, we can now share the identities of scammers and animals abusers. We can show pictures and share write ups of those who have and will continue to abuse animals in horrible manners. Abusers are now being caught due to the Face book awareness level. There are many facebook groups with the specific purpose of getting the word out on abusers and abuse cases to the communities. Thus, abusers are identified faster and people are warned at a much higher rate. This all makes it harder to hide abuse now.
- We also educate others with news articles, warnings about the use of Craigslist to post animals for homes, etc.
- There are so many, many shelters out there that are in horrendous conditions filled with neglectful and abusive employees. We are able to publicize these shelters; our advocates investigate and these shelters are now being exposed.
- With use of petition sites, abuse petitions are being spread and signed and laws are being changed and abusers being prosecuted – this would never have happened before the internet.
- We also share missing children and adults. This has helped the community a great deal by making it faster to find someone. Due to this internet exposure, we have seen missing people posted and found the very next day.
No special talent is needed for this volunteer opportunity. If you have some time, a caring for others and internet access – come on over and join our community. We always welcome new voices. You will be helping the world and meeting people from all over the world. To find groups and pages that interest you, use the search engine of facebook.
Warning – you may get so excited helping others that you may get addicted! This is a work of love and of heart and we would love to have you.